PhD in Sociology
(Joint Research Project with Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
December 2015- (?)
PhD researcher in Comparative Science of Cultures
Funded by the Flemish Research Foundation
Universitetit Gent and Vrije Universiteit Brussel
October 2011 – June 2015
PhD in Sociology
University of Mazandaran (Babolsar, Iran)
Total score of 19.56/20 (Top student of class)
October 2007 – July 2009
Master’s Degree in Anthropology
Tehran University (Tehran, Iran)
Graduated with total score of 18.51/20 (Top student of class)
October 2002 – January 2007
Bachelor’s Degree in Italian Literature
Tehran University (Tehran, Iran)
Graduated with total score of 19.49/20 (Top student of class)
Publications (articles and book chapters):
– Rahbari, Ladan; Mahmudabadi, Zeinab (2017). What Does It Mean to Be a Woman? An Exploratory Study of Femininities among Mazandarani, Azeri and Kurdish Female University Students in Iran, Social Sciences, MDPI, 6(3):98. doi: 10.3390/socsci6030098
– Rahbari, Ladan (2017) Women’s Agency and Corporeality in Equestrian Sports: The Case of Female Leisure Horse-Riders in Tehran, in Miriam Adelman and Kirrilly Thompson (Eds.) Equestrian Cultures in Global and Local Contexts, pp. 17-34, Springer Publishing.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2016) Modern Architecture, Spatial Precarity and the Female Body in the Domestic Spaces in Iran, European Journal of Sociology and Anthropology, 1:2 (2016), 2. doi:10.20897/ejsa.201602
– Rahbari, Ladan (2016), ‘Women in Higher Education and Academia in Iran’. Sociology and Anthropology, 4 , pp. 1003 – 1010. Doi: 10.13189/sa.2016.041107.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2016), ‘Transnationality of Child Poverty: the Case of Iranian and Afghan Street Children in Tehran’, Asian Journal of Humanities and Social Studies, 4(5), pp. 347-352.
– Rahbari, L. (2016). ‘Sexuality in Iran’. In Constance L. Shehan (Ed.), the Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Family Studies. pp. 1769-1772. Wiley Blackwell, DOI:10.1002/9781119085621.wbefs235
– Rahbari, L. (2016). ‘Premarital Dating Relationships in Iran’. In Constance L. Shehan (Ed.), the Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Family Studies. pp. 1620-1624. Wiley Blackwell, DOI:10.1002/9781119085621.wbefs235
– Rahbari, L., Perlatto, F. (2015) Challenges of a Global Sociology: Centers and Peripheries in Geopolitics of Sociological Theory, Asian Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(1): 73-78.
– Rahbari. L (2015) Peripheral position in social theory: Limitations of social research and dissertation writing in Iran, Civita: Revista de Ciências Sociais, 15, 1: 155-165.
– Rahbari, L. (2015) ‘Perceived Safety, Trust, and Dialogue Formation between Sexually Victimized Women and Police’, Journal of Violence and Gender, Volume 1, Number 2: 60-64.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2014) ‘Violence in Premarital Relationships in Iran’, in Violence in the Contemporary World, Edited by Paromita Chakrabarti, Natalia DeCarli and Joana Patricio, Oxford, Inter-Disciplinary Press, Pages 3-14, Ebook with ISBN: 978-1-84888-312-3, accessible at
– Rahbari, L. (2014) ‘Sexual Violence and Physical Health Problems of Married Women in Urban Iran: An Exploratory Research’, ISA E-symposium of sociology 2014, http://www.sagepub.net/isa/admin/ebulletin-articles.aspx
– Sharepour, M.; Rafatjah, M.; Rahbari, L. (2015). Citizens Position in Arnestein’s Ladder: Gender Analysis of Participatory Dimentsion of Right to the City, Social Welfare Quarterly, 2015, 15(57): 177-203. http://refahj.uswr.ac.ir/browse.php?a_id=2159&slc_lang=en&sid=1&ftxt=1
– Rahbari, L., Sharepour, Mahmoud (2014) Gender Differences in Realization of Right to the City in Tehran, in City, Space and Everyday Life (in Persian), Mahmoud Sharepour Ed., Teesa Publication, pp. 163-192 (ISBN: 978-600-7212-63-9)
– Rahbari, L.; Sharepour, M. (2014) Gender and Right to the City: Testing Lefebvre’s Theory in Tehran (in Persian),Journal of Iranian Sociology, (in Farsi), 15(1): 116-141 (ISSN: 1735-1901).
– Riahi, M.E., Rahbari, L. (2014) Stress Process Approach in the Sociology of Mental Health: Sociological Study of Stress (in Persian), Journal of Iranian Social Studies, (in Farsi), 8(1): 49-85 (ISSN: 2008-3653).
– Rafatjah, M., Sharepour, M., Rahbari, L. (2014) Security and Gender in Urban Spaces: Qualitative Study of Women’s Right to the City (in Persian), Societal Security Studies, (in Farsi), 37, Spring: 129-147 (ISSN:1735-3823).
– Janalizade, H., Rahbari, L. (2013) Muslim Women’s Status and Role in Science: a Historical Comparison between Iran and West (in Persian), Quarterly Journal of Social Development, (in Farsi), 8(2), winter: 33-54 (ISSN: 2008-1970), RICeSt & ISC.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2012) Anthropology as a Liberating Science: Integrating Theory and Practice in Participatory Action Research, Iranian Journal of Anthropological Research, (in Farsi), 2(4), Fall and Winter: 141-161 (ISSN: 2251-8193).
– Rahbari, Ladan (2011) A Passage from Profane to Sacred: Representation of the Rite of Passage in the Myth of Za’al (in Persian), Iranian Journal of Anthropology, (in Farsi), 9(15): 13-28 (ISSN: 1375-2096), ISC.
To be published:
– Rahbari, Ladan (?) Discourse of Sexuality during Safavid Dynasty, under publication (in Persian) by Teesa Publication in Tehran, ISBN: 978-600-6662-13-8.
– Susan Dierickx and Ladan Rahbari (2016) Recensie of Interrogationg Harmful Cultural Practices, Chia Longman and Tamsin Bradley (Eds.), Farnham and Berlington: Ashgate, Tijdschrift voor Genderstudies, 20(1): 87-91.
– Rahbari, L. (2016) Spaces of Terror and Women’s Activism for Realization of Right to the City, ISA Forum of Sociology: the Future We Want, Global Sociology and the Struggles for a Bettr World, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria, 10-14 July.
– Rahbari, L. (2016) Gender and the Right to the Space, ISA Forum of Sociology: the Future We Want, Global Sociology and the Struggles for a Bettr World, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria, 10-14 July.
– Rahbari, L. (2016) Transgender in Iran: Gender Politics, Space and Harmful Cultural Practices, Trans*formation conference: Lives and Politics Beyond the Gender Binary, 14-15 June 2016, Instituto de Ciencias Sociais, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal.
– Rahbari, L. (2016) The Changing Face of Teaching Gender and Its Position in the Mainstream Academia in Iran, At Gender Spring Conference 2016, 21-23 April, Utrecht, Netherlands.
– Rahbari, L.; Perlatto, F. (2014) Challenges of a Global Sociology: Centers and Peripheries in Geopolitics of Sociological Theory, ISA international Congress of Sociology, July 2014, Yokohama.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2013) Gender and Right to the City in Tehran, Presentation and E-ISBN (978-967-11768-2-5) World Conference on Integration of Knowledge by worldconferences.net (Langkawi, Malaysia, November 2013).
– Rahbari, Ladan (2013) Sexual Violence and Physical Problems of Married Women in Iran, E-ISBN (978-967-11768-2-5) World Conference on Integration of Knowledge by worldconferences.net (Langkawi, Malaysia, November 2013).
– Rahbari, ladan (2013) Violence in Premarital Relationships in Iran, Presentation and ISBN publication of article at the International Conference of Violence (Prague, Czech Republic, May 2013), by www.Inter-disciplinary.net.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2013) ‘Feminism and Historical Challenges in Anthropology’ Presentation and E-ISBN publication (NO. 978-967-11768-1-8) International Conference of Social Science and Research (Penang, Malaysia, June 2013).
– Rahbari, ladan (2013) ‘Iranian Women’s Role and Position in Science; a Historical Study’ Presentation and E-ISBN (NO. 978-967-11768-1-8) International Conference of Social Science and Research (Penang, Malaysia, June 2013).
– Rahbari, Ladan (2013) ‘Emotional Exchange, Discourse of Martyrdom and Self-sacrifice (A Qualitative Study of Self-sacrifice among Iran-Iran War Widows)’, The First International Symposium on Self-sacrifice and Martyrdom: A Scholarly Approach (ISSMSA 2013) 1st- 2nd of October – Tehran, Setaregan Foundation and University of Tehran.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2014) ‘Are Educated Women Ugly? Stigmatizing Women in Higher Education’, in the Proceeding of the Global Summit on Education GSE 2014 (E- ISBN 978-967-11768-5-6) 4-5 March 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Organized by WorldConferences.net
– Rahbari, Ladan (2013) ‘Challenges of a Global Sociology: Centers and Peripheries in Sociological Theory’, the Third International Conference on Social Thought and Sociology in the Middle East and North Africa, (Tehran, December 11-12, 2013).
– Rahbari, Ladan (2014) Gender and Right to the City: Testing Lefebvre’s Theory in Tehran, National Conference of City and Everyday Life, Tehran Municipality and Tehran University, Tehran, May 2014.
– Sharepour, M., Rahbari, L. (2013) Gender and Appropriation of Space: Modern Architecture and Elimination of Private Spaces, National Conference of Architecture, Woman and the City, February 2014, Tehran, The Center for the Great Islamic Encyclopaedia.
– Rahbari, L.; Sharepour, M. (2013) A Qualitative Study of Girls’ Performance in the Shopping Malls, National Conference of Transformations of Life Style in Iran, November 2013, Tehran.
– Rahbari, L.; Riahi, M. E. (2013) Audience Study Approach and the Ever-growing Inclination of Using Foreign Media: A study on Satellite TV, national Conference of Transformations of Life Style in Iran, November 2013, Tehran.
– Rahbari, ladan (2012) Lifecourse and Cultural Consumption: A Qualitative Study of Consumption of Books among Students of the University of Mazandaran, Conference of Lifestyle and Cultural Capital, 2012, Azad University of Babol, Babol-Iran.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2012) Preventing Crime by Urban Design and Community-Based Safeguarding: An Implication of Social Chance Theory, November 2012, National Conference of Crime and Social Deviance Prevention, University of Mazandaran, Babolsar-Iran.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2012) Perceived Security in Urban Spaces and Women’s Right to the City, National Conference of Women and City Life, 2012, Tehran University.
– Rahbari, Ladan (2011) Modernity and Theocratic State, National Conference of Religion, University and Theocratic State, University of Mazandaran, March 2011, Babolsar-Iran.
– Rothstein, B. (2014) Social Traps and the Problem of Trust, translated to Persian by Ladan Rahbari, M Sharepour, M Fazeli and S Fatahi to, Tehran: Agah Publication (ISBN: 978-964-329-239-3).
Guest Lecturer, Lecture in the cures of gender and sexuality, directed by Dr. Katrien De Graeve, at the University of Gent, 2, December 2016, Gent, Belgium.
Guest Lecturer: Lecturing the master program of ‘sexuality’ directed by professor Dr. Gily Coene at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, on May 3d, 2016.
Guest Lecturer: Guest lecturer at the Inter University Master of Arts Program in Gender and Diversity (organized by the five Flemish universities (Ghent, Brussels, Louvain, Antwerp and Hasselt)) directed by Professor Dr. Chia Longman, Brussel, November 2015.
January 2014 – July 2015
Lecturer at the Isfahan Art University – Faculty of Religions and Civilizations (Isfahan-Iran),http://www.aui.ac.ir/index.php/fa/?lang=en
Lectured course: Sociology of Art (post graduate degree), Anthropology of Art, Methodology Basics, Methodology for Islamic Art Studies
March 2012 – July 2013
Lecturer at the Department of Social Sciences, University of Mazandaran (Babolsar-Iran), http://ow.umz.ac.ir/en/
Lectured courses: Linguistic Anthropology; Specialized English for Social Science Students; Anthropology of Religion; Basics of Anthropology, Anthropological Theories, Anthropology Basics, Cultural Anthropology
October 2009-June 2010
Lecturer at the Faculty of Humanities, Urmia Payame-Nur University (Urmia-Iran), http://urmiapnu.ac.ir/
Lectured courses: Social Work Basics, Anthropology Basics, Sociology of Family, Rural Sociology, Social Work Basics, Sociological Basics and Concepts
– Keynote Speaker, in the Gender and Diversity Day, 30th of November, University of Koblenz-Landau. Department of gender studies.
– Workshop Instructor: I gave a workshop on “Gender and Intersectionality in the Context of Migration” during the EUIJ Kyushu Spring Academy on 3.3.2016 to an international group of 40 students from Japan and Belgium at the Universiteit Gent.
– Panel discussant at the event ‘home and away’ on UGent Internationalization Day: I was gave a speech on a panel discussion about migration and academia at the 12 April 2016, at the Universiteit Gent.
– Organizing Comittee Member, in Gender Research Seminar 2016 – 17-18 May 2016, Centre for Research on Culture and Gender, Gent University, Belgium.
– Coordinator of master class: I coordinated a masterclass by Prof. Dr. Dilek Cindoglu in UGent on 17 May 2016, at the Universiteit Gent.
– Internationalization day Symposium 2016: Organizer and Coordinator of the event and the internationalization day at the UGent by the theme ‘international perspectives on gender and sexuality’ in November 2016.
– Panel discussant in seminar and movie session: On 27 June 2016 I am organizing a movie and discussion panel with the theme ‘Transgenderism in Iran’. I will be speaking on the transgender issue as a transnational problem, but also looking the specific case of Iran.
Gender politics, sexuality, violence against women, sociology/anthropology of space and harmful cultural practices.
– Familiar with both quantitative and qualitative methodologies including ethnography, discourse analysis, open/structured/semi structured interviews and focus group study.
– Office package (Ms Word, Ms Excel, Ms PowerPoint), Professional.
– Statistical Package for Social Science (SPSS), Professional.
– Social Network Analysis (SNA) – learning
– LISREL Statistical Package, Intermediate.
– Participation Grant by AtGender Organization, to take part at the AtGender Spring Conference in Utrecht, Netherlands 2016.
– Registration Grant for ISA Forum of Sociology by International Sociological Association
– Travel grant for ISA Forum of Sociology 2016, by International Sociological Association
– 4 year doctorate program full scholarship from the Ghent University, for the degree of Comparative Study of Culture;
– Travel grant from the International Sociological Associations to attend the 2014 ISA congress in Yokohama, Japan;
– Scholarship for 12th Laboratory of PhD students held by International Sociological Associations, attended on 15-25th July 2013 in Sydney;
– Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs Full Scholarship for a Four Month Course in Italian Language, at Universita per Stranieri di Perugia, June-October 2007;
– Top Student of BA Class;
– Top Student of MA Class;
– Top Student of PhD Class.
– Asian Journal of Humanities and Social Studies (AJHSS), http://www.ajouronline.com/index.php?journal=AJHSS&page=about
– Journal of Violence and Gender (Mary Ann Liebert Publication), http://www.liebertpub.com/overview/violence-and-gender/620/
– Asian Journal of Social Science (National University of Singapore), http://www.brill.com/asian-journal-social-science
– Iranian Scientific Journal of Motaleat-e Tatbighi-e Honar (Art University of Isfahan), http://mth.aui.ac.ir/
– Iranian Scientific Journal of pajouhesh-e Honar (Art University of Isfahan), http://ph.aui.ac.ir/
– Member at CRCG (Centre for Research on Culture and Gender) at the Universiteit Gent
– Member at RHEA (the Centre of Expertise Gender, Diversity and Intersectionality) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
– Head of gender studies section of Institute of Anthropology and Culture, http://anthropology.ir/node/20283;
– Member of International Sociological Association (ISA) for four years;
– Member of Iranian Sociological Association;
– Member of Iranian Anthropological Association.
Persian (Farsi) – Mother tongue.
English (All skills) – IELTS General score 8.
Italian (All skills) – Bachelor’s degree.
Turkish & Iranian Azerbaijani (All skills) – Self-Study, fluent.
French (All skills) – Self-Study, Intermediate.
Dutch (Speaking) – Beginner & Learning
Some Arabic and Some Spanish
Selected blog entries in Farsi:
– Rahbari, Ladan, Women Victims of Wars Waged by Men, http://www.irna.ir/en/NewsPrint.aspx?ID=2733242
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sociological Theories on Domestic Violence (part 5), http://anthropology.ir/node/22090
– Rahbari, Ladan, Ageing, http://fararu.com/fa/news/249628/
– Rahbari, ladan, Eastern Viewpoint, Western Viewpoint: Myth or Reality?, http://anthropology.ir/node/17576
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sex and Gender: Basis of Feminist Studies, http://www.ensani.ir/fa/content/123813/default.aspx
– Rahbari, Ladan, Gender and Appropriation of Space http://anthropology.ir/node/21972
– Rahbari, Ladan, Gaslighting: Covert Psychological Violence (part 1), http://anthropology.ir/article/29945
– Rahbari, Ladan, Gaslighting: Covert Psychological Violence (part 2), http://anthropology.ir/article/29984
– Rahbari, Ladan, Feminism and Scientific Concerns, http://anthropology.ir/article/29907
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sociological Theories on Domestic Violence (part 4), http://anthropology.ir/node/21843
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sociological Theories on Domestic Violence (part 3), http://anthropology.ir/node/21640
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sociological Theories on Domestic Violence (part 2), http://anthropology.ir/node/21423
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sociological Theories on Domestic Violence (part 1), http://anthropology.ir/node/21290
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sexual Violence by Intimate Partner: A Serious Threat to Women’s Wellbeing,http://www.anthropology.ir/node/20807
– Rahbari, Ladan, Socialization and the Stress Caused by Physical Violence, http://anthropology.ir/node/16879
– Rahbari, Ladan, Columbus Day or American Indigenous Day?, http://anthropology.ir/article/30185
– Rahbari, Ladan, Lenore Walker: Battered Women’s Syndrome, http://anthropology.ir/node/29206
– Rahbari, Ladan, Body Management and Gender: the Phenomena of Epilation, http://anthropology.ir/article/29570
– Rahbari, Ladan, Feminization of Poverty and Global Passivity in Dealing with it, http://anthropology.ir/article/30109
– Rahbari, Ladan, Gender, Crime and Deviance, http://anthropology.ir/node/21199
– Rahbari, Ladan, Nabokov’s Lolita: a Lost Childhood, http://anthropology.ir/node/19636
– Rahbari, Ladan, Unofficial Economy and Manipulating Women in the Job Market,http://anthropology.ir/node/20695
– Rahbari, Ladan, Orientalist Approach to the Sexuality Discourse in Safavid Era Travel Diaries,http://anthropology.ir/node/20387
– Rahbari, Ladan, Feminism and Historical Challenges in Anthropology, http://anthropology.ir/node/20276
– Rahbari, Ladan, Emotional Exchange of War Widows in the discourse of Martyrdom,http://anthropology.ir/node/20070
– Rahbari, Ladan, Physical Pain and Realistic Experience of Life, http://anthropology.ir/node/20921
– Rahbari, Ladan, The Relation Between Classic Sociological Theories and Evolutionary Psychology,http://anthropology.ir/node/17230
– Rahbari, Ladan, Exploring Durkheim’s Theory, http://anthropology.ir/node/17456
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sexual Continuum: Sexuality from a Post-Modern Perspective, http://anthropology.ir/node/1627
– Rahbari, Ladan, Gender and Right to the City, http://www.hamooniran.com/item/6917
– Rahbari, Ladan, Sexing the Brain; Do Men’s and Women’s Brains Differ?, http://anthropology.ir/node/1625